Adverbs 就 and 才

Adverbs 就 and 才

Postby jjjd » Wed May 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Adverbs 就 and 才

The adverbs 就 jiù and 才 cái serve many functions in sentences, and this section will introduce two particular usages. 就 jiù and 才 cái should be placed before verbs in sentences. The use of 就 jiù or 才 cái expresses the notion that the timing of an event is earlier or later than expected. Let us look at how these adverbs are used in the following sentences.

e.g.
Xiăodīng jīntiān bā diăn shuìjiàole
小 丁 今 天 八 点 睡 觉 了。
Xiao Ding went to bed at eight o’clock.

The above sentence relates the fact that the action of going to sleep happened at eight o’clock, but by using the adverb 就 jiù, the sentence becomes:

Xiăodīng jīntiān bā diăn jiù shuìjiàole
小 丁 今 天 八 点 就 睡 觉 了。
Xiao Ding went to bed (as early as) eight o’clock.

As you can see, the adverb 就 jiù is placed before the verb 睡 shuì to sleep in the above sentence. 就 jiù is used to comment on the preceding time expression 八点 bā diăn eight o’clock, and indicates that it was earlier than the speaker expected. In other words, the speaker is expecting Xiao Ding to go to sleep after eight o’clock.

Xiăodīng jīntiān bā diăn cái shuìjiào
小 丁 今 天 八 点 才 睡 觉。
Xiao Ding only went to bed at eight o’clock. (Lit Xiao Ding went to bed as late as eight o’clock.)

The adverb 才cái implies “only then”. In other words, the speaker is expecting Xiao Ding to go to sleep before eight o’clock. Notice that in addition to the adverb 就 jiù being replaced by 才 cái, the end of sentence particle 了 le has also disappeared in the above sentence.

就 jiù or 才cái can also be used to express a view on a number that is smaller or bigger than expected. Let us see the effect that the adverbs 就 jiù and 才 cái have on the following sentences.
爱是一颗幸福的子弹
jjjd

Re: Adverbs 就 and 才

Postby SunflowerJessica » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:50 am

Could you make some sentense with 就 and 才?

I start:

我周末时10点起床
I get up at 10am on weekends

我周末时10点就起床了
I get up at (as early as )10am on weekends

我周末时10点才起床
I get up only at (as late as)10am on weekends
SunflowerJessica

Return to 学习资料/Learning material